In a very surprising twist of events (just kidding), the hotly-anticipated adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey opened to one of the biggest R-rated debuts ever.
Internationally, it took in $158 million (which is insane), and domestically it brought in just over $85 million. In the running against other high-grossing Rated R films, it takes fourth place, just behind The Matrix Reloaded, American Sniper and The Hangover Part II. Still, that doesn’t necessarily mean that there won’t be trouble ahead for the flick.
Poor word-of-mouth (at a C+) and a post-Valentine’s hangover mean the film probably won’t reach $200 million.
All together though, the Top 12 films earned enough to make this weekend the highest grossing in February ever, due in part to excellent premieres like 50 Shades and Kingsman.
Kingsman, while in second place, didn’t fare poorly at all. The comic book adaptation opened to $36.2 million as the “de facto counter-choice” against 50 Shades. All in all, it has a pretty good chance at ending up with around $100 million.
Full Box Office (via Box Office Mojo)
1. Fifty Shades of Grey $85,043,000
2. Kingsman: The Secret Service $36,225,000
3. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water $31,680,000
4. American Sniper $16,530,000
5. Jupiter Ascending $9,240,000
6. Seventh Son $4,139,000
7. Paddington $4,033,000
8. The Imitation Game $3,484,000
9. The Wedding Ringer $3,200,000
10. Project Almanac $2,763,000