In a not at all surprising box office result, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I premiered in theaters with massive success.
The third movie in the four-part trilogy (those Hollywood producers really know how to milk a franchise, don’t they?) helped make this weekend the 15th highest grossing weekend in box office history, ever. However, that doesn’t mean the film fared well in comparison to earlier installments.
As a matter of fact, Mockingjay Part I took in 22% less than Catching Fire did, but the film will likely still close at around $300 million (just below Guardians of the Galaxy).
Meanwhile, Big Hero 6 and Interstellar continued their box office runs successfully. Hero will likely continue to gross big numbers, and close at above $200 million.
Here’s the full box office round-up (via Box Office Mojo):
1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I $123,000,000
2. Big Hero 6 $20,086,000
3. Interstellar $15,100,000
4. Dumb and Dumber To $13,820,000
5. Gone Girl $2,815,000
6. Beyond the Lights $2,630,000
7. St. Vincent $2,354,000
8. Fury $1,900,000
9. Birdman $1,855,000
10. The Theory of Everything $1,500,000
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Becomes Fastest Movie To Reach $1 Billion
- ‘Hotel Transylvania 2’ Slays Box Office Competitors In Weekend Lineup
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Heads Straight To First Place In Weekend Box Office
- ‘Mission: Impossible’ Cruises To Top Of The Box Office, ‘Vacation’ Takes A Wrong Turn
- ‘Ant-Man’ Crushes ‘Pixels’, ‘Jurassic World’ Busts A Box Office Record
- ‘Ant-Man’ Crawls Its Way To Box Office Heights During Opening Weekend