You have probably heard Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used To Know”. For those who haven’t seen the video it’s time to get on youtube, and find it because it reveals one of 2012 biggest fashion styles: COLOR BLOCKING. Wearing a single bold color other than mutual tones from head to toe is accepted, and can be contrasted by other colors as well. Adding some color to your life can be exciting AND challenging. In fear of looking like a circus clown many of us shy away from bright colors and prefer to stick with mute tones.
Here are some tips on how to be applauded rather than laughed at for your style:
- Stick to mixing 3 colors or less. For example: Tangerine + Purple + Black or Mint + Gold + Ivory or Grass Green + Navy Blue + White. As you can see it is helpful to always add a neutral color such as black, white or beige to minimize an overpowering affect. Check out Forever 21, Express or H&M for good deals on bright solids.
- After you’ve chosen your color block theme it’s time to decide what kind of accessories to go with. Bottom line is: Keep it simple! To be save stick with neutral colors, and match your belt and purse with the same colors. I usually find inexpensive shoes and purses at Ross, Mervyns, Buffalo Exchange or Crossroads Trading.
- Highlight your assets, not your flaws! Darker colors have a slimming effect so use them to your advantage, and wear darker colors in places such as stomach and thighs. For example: You have great legs but aren’t happy with your behind? Wear a darker skirt and bright tights instead! Shop for fun bright tights on Haight Street at stores such as New York Apparel.
- Stick with solids! Sorry cute little flower prints and cool graphics you are not allowed here. Stripes are ok as long as they’re bold, and not too bright. Think sailor style striped t-shirt paired with a bright peach skirt, and some gold accessories for a fun night out or a stroll on the boardwalk.
- Can’t seem to find colors to match? Choose bright accessories instead. If you prefer non-bright colors for clothes you can always leave the color blocking to your bright patent leather clutch, bags, fashion jewelry, shoes and belts. Cheap earrings and fashion jewelry is widely available in shops located in the Mission district on Valencia Street or on Haight Street.
HAVE FUN SHINING BRIGHT FASHIONISTAS!!